Bae Rating: 2.5. Simply because this dish is literally chicken and rice. This is an "I had a long day at work so I need to cook for my husband of 25 years and our 5 kids" kind of dish. Still bomb though :).
1 1/2 LB Chicken Thighs (about 4)
1 1/2 tbs of smoked paprika
1 tbs of garlic powder
1 tbs of onion powder
1/2 tbs of dried oregano
Sea salt and black pepper (to taste)
1 cup of Tomato-Caper sauce
2 cups of chicken stock (plus extra)
1 cup of white rice (we used Uncle Ben’s)
2 tbs of vegetable oil
- Pat dry your chicken thighs, and trim any extra fat. Season them liberally on both sides with the spice mixture, and set aside
- In a medium oven-safe skillet, heat the vegetable oil on medium-high, then add the chicken thighs skin-side down
- Sear the chicken thighs until they are crisp and have a beautiful deep brown color, roughly 1-2 minutes depending on how hot your stovetop gets. Don’t worry about cooking them through, they’ll finish in the oven!
- Remove the chicken thighs, and add the white rice. Coat the rice in all the chickeny, crusty goodness, and stir for about a minute
- Add the chicken stock and tomato caper sauce and stir.
- Place the chicken thighs on top, and bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. Check the chicken at about 20 minutes, they should be done. If so, remove them, stir the rice, and let it continue to cook. If it looks a little dry, add a little more chicken stock, stir, and continue to bake it for another 5 minutes.
- Serve the chicken and rice hot!