3 large red skinned potatoes
1/4 cup of heavy cream
2 tbs of salted butter
1/2 tbs of white pepper
1/4 cup of shallots, thinly sliced
1 tsp of sea salt
1/4 cup of Pecorino- Romano cheese, grated
1. In a heavy bottomed pot, pour about 3/4-1 inch of canola oil, and heat on medium-high heat
2. Add the shallots and fry for 30 seconds to minute, or until they're golden brown. Work quickly and pay attention; they will go from golden brown, crunchy and delicious to burnt in about 10 seconds.
3. Remove the fried shallots, and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with the sea salt, and set aside
4. Peel and cube the potatoes, and add to a pot of boiling salted water.
5. When the potatoes are fork tender (aka you poke them with a fork and the fork doesn't fight back), strain the water from the pot and mash the potatoes.
6. Heat the cream and butter until the butter is melted (I usually pop mine in the microwave in a coffee mug for about 1 minute), and add to the potatoes. Stir this into the mashed potatoes until they're creamy and delicious.
7. Add the white pepper (I use white because I don't want black flecks in the potatoes, but black is really fine).
8. Stir in the Pecorino-Romano, and the fried shallots. Taste the potatoes. Salty pecorino-romano, salted butter and salted shallots should give you plenty of salt, but I know how y'all do.
9. Serve immediately! Nobody likes cold mashed potatoes. Gross.